Learning a foreign language is one of the most rewarding and enjoyable activities. The aim of the Key Stage 2 French curriculum is for enthusiasm and enjoyment for language learning. Whilst we focus on enabling students to make progress in one language, French, we aim to provide a solid basis for all future language learning and a wider appreciation for other cultures and languages than their own. We want our pupils to:
• develop an enthusiasm for language learning and an open minded and receptive attitude to other languages and cultures.
• expand their horizons to other countries, cultures, and people.
• grow into curious, confident, and reflective language learners who have a growth mindset and a detective-like approach to unfamiliar language.
• develop teamwork and peer support in the classroom.
• reinforce their literacy skills when acquiring new French vocabulary and grammar.
• have a solid basis for successful further language study beyond Key Stage 2.
French will be taught as a 1 hour lesson per class by highly qualified teachers with subject expertise at Key Stage 2 and secondary level.
The lessons are carefully planned and sequenced so that prior learning is considered and opportunities for revision of language, phonics and grammar are built in.
Lessons will focus on the three main strands of language learning:
1. Phonics – the key components of the sound-writing relationship
2. Vocabulary – a set of the most frequently used words
3. Grammar – the essential building blocks required to create simple sentences independently
Please see the attached Scheme of Work which details how we learn in each year group.